History of the University

The history of higher education in Pécs dates back to 1367, when Louis the Great initiated the establishment of a university in the episcopal city of Pécs. As a result of an integration process of several stages, the University of Pécs was founded, which has become one of the most famous, prestigious institutions having a leading role in regional education. It has ten faculties which cover the full spectrum of high-quality higher education.

University history in a nutshell

1367 The first university in Hungary is founded by King Louis the Great 

1746 A college of theology is founded by Bishop Count Zsigmond Berényi 

1785 Emperor Joseph II orders the transfer of the Royal Academy from Győr to Pécs 

1835 Episcopate Lyceum Quinque–Eclessiae is established by Bishop Ignác Szepessy 

1921 The Hungarian Royal Erzsébet University is relocated from Pozsony (Bratislava) to Pécs

1940 The Faculty of Humanities is moved both to Szeged and partially to Kolozsvár (Cluj) 

1951 Considering the medical school becoming independent (Medical University of Pécs), the University of Pécs is left with only one faculty, the Faculty of Law 

1975 The Faculty of Business and Economics is established, which so far, operated as an affiliated section of the Karl Marx University of Economics in Budapest 

1982 The Teacher Training College is merged with the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Business and Economics. The new institution assumes the name of Janus Pannonius

1990 The Faculty of Health Sciences is established at the Medical University of Pécs 

1992 The Teacher Training College is replaced by the Faculty of Humanities and the Faculty of Sciences

1995 Pollack Mihály Technical College is merged with Janus Pannonius University 

1996 The Faculty of Visual Arts and Music is established

2000 In considering the merger of Janus Pannonus University, the Medical University of Pécs and the Illyés Gyula Teacher Training College of Szekszárd, a unified University is founded under the name of the University of Pécs 

2004 The Pollack Mihály Technical College is transformed into a full-fledged university faculty under the name of Pollack Mihály Faculty of Engineering 

2005 The Faculty of Adult Education and Human Resources Development is established as the tenth faculty of the University 

2006 The College of Health Sciences becomes a full-fledged university faculty under the name of Faculty of Health Sciences

2015 The name of the Pollack Mihály Faculty of Engineering becomes Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology. In considering the merger of the Faculty of Adult Education and Human Resources Development and the Illyés Gyula Teacher Training College of Szekszárd the Faculty of Cultural Sciences, Education and Regional Development is formed. The university now has nine faculties 

2016 The Faculty of Pharmacy will soon be established, and as a result, the University of Pécs will once again, feature ten faculties

2017 Jubilee 650 The University of Pécs celebrates the 650th jubilee of its foundation in 2017. On this festive occasion our institution is planning to organize a series of ceremonial events which will be significant for the city of Pécs, the Transdanubian region and for Hungary as well. The jubilee series of events last from 1st September 2015 to 8th December 2017.